Thursday, January 15, 2009

Queue up!

Alright, time for my third post.
The last couple have days have been crazy. We had a series of orientations about the city of London, the politics of the United Kingdom and the customs of the British. All very interesting, but hard to not sleep through because of the jet lag (which I fear I am still suffering from).
On Wednesday my roommates and I visited the V&A, which was absolutely gorgeous and huge. We went to see the basement first, which was mostly crafts and vases and things. The museum is so huge that some of the rooms lack attention. Some of the exhibits are covered in dust and the display lights need new light bulbs. We also went to see the sculpture gallery, which has a nice Rodin collection and the fashion exhibit which was really comprehensive. All in all a great museum.
I had my first round of real classes today. My teacher is engaging and eloquent and amazing. The best part is, we are going on a different field trip every day. Monday through Thursday I am going to a museum EVERY DAY. I can't wait. Today we went to the Science museum (to talk about what constitutes a good exhibit). I learned that the building was made in the style of a cathedral with the revenue from the great exhibition in 1851. This venture also funded the V&A and the Natural History Museum. We went to see the dinosaurs, an amazing exhibit full of huge fossils. There is a walkway above the exhibit so you can see the fossils from every angle. It was amazing. Near the end you go around a curve and there is a mechanical model of a T-Rex, just like there used to be in at Marine World. It was amazing! I can't wait to go back with my roommates this weekend.
I also visited the V&A with my class today. We are studying the Arts and Crafts movement. My professor led us through the British Art Gallery from 1500-1900. The only thing I don't like about the V&A is the sheer volume of pieces in it. There are cases upon cases of paintings, vases, and other little nick-knacks. Anyways, it is almost stifling.
Tomorrow I am visiting the British Museum (Parthenon marbles here I come) and Kensington palace. It should be amazing. I can't wait.
I am still getting along splendidly with my roommates and flatmates. I am very excited for the weekend although a trip to Windsor castle and the London Art Fair (a special field trip with my art history class). Too bad I won't get to sleep. That seems to be a theme here.
Hope everyone at home is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment