Monday, January 12, 2009

Mind the gap

So, I am finally in London and settled into my triple apartment with my two roommates, Aurelia and Nicole. Some good things about the room: firstly we have our own bathroom, secondly our kitchen is beautiful, and finally my roommates are lovely. Some of the bad things about the room: it's TINY, there is limited furniture (three beds, two small tables (very small and of different heights) there are NO bookcases, there are no drawers, I have to sleep in a bunk bed), and the hallways are awkwardly narrow and its quite hard to get around the room.
The airplane trip was remarkably nice. It was very long, but they supplied a bunch of movies (Forest Gump, Shrek, Breakfast at Tiffany's). Anyways, we got in 15 minutes early and I flew through customs without the letter I was worried about (that little bit was for mom). Then I got to the hotel and had a very nice time. We went to a cute little Italian Restaurant called Da Mario which was sort of expensive but very cute. I got caught in the tourist trap of buying bottled water. I later went to Tesco Express where I found Krispy Kreme donuts. So weird. They are everywhere except the East Coast.
The first full day in London I spent unpacking. Then Aurelia, Somerton, Nicole, and I went to lunch at MedKitchen, a nice little restaurant in South Kensington (a little pricey though). We then went back to the Crofton to meet with our flatmates to get the lay of the land. Both my roommates were quite tired at this point. For dinner we decided to go to this great restaurant called Cha Cha Moon (Ganton St off Harnaby) which was adorable and very cheap. After that we walked down Old Bond Street via Conduit street which was full of amazing stores with diamonds and fashionable clothes. Of course, being London, everything was closed and all the diamonds were away but it still looked very impressive. We plan to go back in the daylight when the stores are open. Later that night, we went to Kings Cross station which was full of smoke and pigeons but actually had a platform 9 and 3/4 (I have pictures)! After that we ended the night in a cute little pub called the Gloucester Arms pub right near our place to have a half pint before turning in for the night.
Today was full of waiting around. We started the day at a club orientation for the local college where my roommates and I signed up for the Philippine martial arts club and the fencing club (I hope mom likes that one too). I also at my first fish and chips provided by the college which I actually thought was ok (it tasted more like grease than fish to be honest). We then went on a boat trip down the Thames river and I realized how beautiful London is. Now I cant wait to see more of the city! South Kensington is beautiful. Its full of cobble stones and old buildings. I'm excited to figure out more about it!
The next few days are full of academic lectures and the first days of classes. Hopefully I will get to see some more of London soon.

2 comments:

  1. Cha Cha Moon will definitely go on our master list. Excellent Pims at MedKitchen. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So . . . when do we get the next installment?

    ReplyDelete